Click here for a printable version of this page (PDF format).
Please provide all of the documents listed. If a document will not be submitted, please provide an explanation detailing the reason(s) for the omission and/or the reason it is not applicable to the applicant company. Failure to provide the necessary documentation required to ascertain the company’s eligibility is reason for a denial.
Note: Your assigned Regional Partner Organization (RPO) and/or WBENC reserves the right to request additional documentation, if necessary, to determine the eligibility of your firm for certification as a WBE and WOSB (if applying for WOSB certification). In addition, if you have questions regarding the required documents or processing fee, please contact the assignedRegional Partner Organization for your state.
If applying for WOSB certification in addition to WBE certification, please refer to the end of this document for additional WOSB documentation requirements.
GENERAL INFORMATION – Requirements are the same for all business structures.
- Printed WBE Application Summary View of the application form from WBENCLink
How to print the Summary View:
- After completing the online WBE Application, the Summary View will automatically open. Please DO NOT click Submit. Using the print option at the top of the Summary View, print the Summary View and review it to ensure all information is correct. If it is not, return to the application and edit by closing the summary view, making the necessary changes on the appropriate tabs, and clicking “Save and Next” from the “Additional Info” tab. The Summary View will reappear in a popup window once again.
- After you are confident the information is true and correct, click “Submit” to submit your WBE application electronically.
- After you have submitted, the system will prompt you to print the Summary View again. Please print two (2) copies. Submit a copy with the required documentation for certification and maintain a copy for your records.
- Note: Prior to submitting the application, the status will be “Application Not Submitted”, once submitted, the status will be “Waiting for Documents”
- Signed Sworn Affidavit
- WBENCLink User Agreement Section 3.7
- Must be signed by majority female owner
- Click here for a direct link to the WBENCLink User Agreement Section 3.7
- Non-Refundable Processing Fee
- Contact your assigned Regional Partner Organization to identify the fee for your business to obtain WBE certification.
- History of Business
- Explain the start and history of your business, including when, where, why, with whom, and how the business was started/acquired, as well as an explanation of the primary business of the company.
- Professional and business license(s) (if applicable)
- Resumes of all owners, board of directors, and key management team
- Biographies are not an acceptable substitute.
- Resumes should cover related professional experience.
OWNER ELIGIBILITY – Requirements are the same for all business structures. One of the documents requested below must be a photo identification for identify verification purposes.
- Evidence of gender for female owner(s)
- Copy of current U.S. Passport, U.S. Birth Certificate, or Driver’s License
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship or Permanent Legal Resident Alien status for female owner(s)
- Copy of current U.S. Passport, U.S. Birth Certificate, naturalization papers, or Permanent Legal Resident Alien Card (green card)
FINANCIAL STRUCTURE – Requirements are the same for all business structures
- Financial statements for the business
- Profit and loss statement that aligns with the most recent tax return submitted
- Balance sheet that aligns with the most recent tax return submitted
- For a new business that has been in operation for less than one year, submit an opening balance sheet only
- Three years’ Federal Income Tax returns, as filed with the IRS
- Includes current and prior two years’ federal income tax returns for the business with all schedules and statements attached
- For businesses less than three years old, substitute personal federal income tax returns for the appropriate number of years with all schedules and statements attached. When submitting personal tax returns, you may black out all social security numbers and all dependent names
- If personal tax returns are being submitted, personal tax returns must be submitted by any individual that owns 10% or more of the company
- If your company has applied for an extension to file for the most recent tax year, submit extension paperwork
- Submitting state returns will delay the processing of your file
- Please submit copies of the following documents that are currently active (listed under the Liabilities section of the the company’s Balance Sheet):
- Debt instruments
- Loan Agreements
- Note Payables
- Promissory Notes
- Surety Agreements
- Security Agreements
- Equipment rental and purchase agreements or proof of equipment purchase
- Real estate leases
- Debt instruments
- Copy of bank signature authorization card or corporate resolution
- This document should be provided by your financial institution
- If the item does not exist or your financial institution does not release this information, please have your financial institution write a letter on its letterhead indicating the company name, type of accounts held, date account was opened, who has signature authority for those accounts, as well as any stipulations/restrictions pertaining to signatory authority (e.g. two signatures required for amounts greater than $10,000)
- Proof of capital and/or equity investment by female owner(s)
- Any document or written statements indicating the method by which the female owner(s) obtained her ownership interest (e.g. cancelled checks, opening bank statement, proof of stock purchase, written statement by owner, list of contributed equipment/expertise, etc.) Any document or written statements indicating the method by which the female owner(s) obtained her ownership interest (e.g. cancelled checks, opening bank statement, proof of stock purchase, written statement by owner, list of contributed equipment/expertise, etc.)
PERSONNEL – Requirements are the same for all business structures
- List of all full and part time employees by name, position and length of service or date of hire, including all owners
- Employee payroll for the month prior to submitting the application
- Indicate time span of the pay period on the document
- For each employee, list his/her name, title/position, hours worked for the pay period indicated, gross pay for the pay period indicated, hourly pay rate and/or commission earned in period (if applicable)
- Information is required for internal employees, not those who are leased to/from other companies
- W-2s and/or 1099 forms from every officer, director, or owner receiving compensation from the company for the most recent year
MANAGEMENT INFORMATION – Requirements are the same for all business structures
- Trust agreement(s) that involve the majority female owner(s)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan Agreements (ESOPs)
- Submit copies of the following documents that are currently active:
- Management/consulting agreements
- Any agreements with individuals and/or vendors who are providing management/consulting services to the applicant company
- These are agreements that influence the management and/or operations of the applicant company
- DO NOT submit client agreements between the applicant company and its customers
- Service agreements
- These are agreements that influence the day-to-day operations, including the production and/or distribution of the applicant company’s product or service
- Affiliate/subsidiary agreements
- An affiliation is a relationship where 5% or more of a company’s stock is held by a parent company
- A subsidiary relationship is one where 50% or more of a company’s stock is held by a parent company
- If the affiliate/subsidiary company is a certified WBE, please include a copy of the WBE certificate; otherwise, include only the agreement
- Franchise Agreements (if applicable)
- Union Agreement (if applicable)
- Management/consulting agreements
GOVERNANCE INFORMATION – Requirements DIFFER by business structure
- Assumed Name Documents
- Partnership Agreements
- Limited Partnership Certificate
- If Applicant is a limited partnership, submit a certificate of existence and a copy of the certificate of limited partnership issued by the state of formation
- Buy-Out Rights Agreement
- Profit Sharing Agreements
Note: Owning the company 100% does not exempt the owner from providing stock certificates. Also, if 100% owned and minutes are not available, please state so in writing.
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Articles/Charter of Incorporation
- Current corporate bylaws with all amendments
- Minutes from shareholders’ first organizational meeting
- Minutes from first meeting of board of directors
- Minutes from shareholders’ meeting establishing current ownership
- Minutes from board of directors’ meeting establishing current ownership
- Minutes from most recent meeting of shareholders
- Minutes from most recent meeting of board of directors
- Statement from the Board Secretary certifying the names, titles, and gender of all current members of the board of directors
- Both sides of ALL stock certificates issued, including voided and/or cancelled
- Stock Transfer Ledger (Record of stock certificates issued and transferred)
- Voting agreements and other equity interests including stock options, warrants, buy/sell agreements, and right of first refusal
- Schedule of advances made to corporation by shareholders for the preceding three years
- If an out-of-state corporation, proof of authority to do business in state where corporation is headquartered
Limited Liability Corporations
- Certificate of Organization/Existence/Formation (for businesses in states that issue certificates)
- Articles of Organization or Articles of Formation and any amendments
- LLC Regulations, Operating Agreement and/or Member Agreement
- Member List with Titles and gender
- Schedule of Advances made to LLC by members for the preceding three years
- If an out-of-state LLC, proof of authority to do business in state where LLC is headquartered
Additional Documentation Required ONLY if applying for Woman Owned Small Business (WOSB) Certification
All businesses seeking WOSB Certification in addition to WBENC WBE certification must also submit:
- Printed WOSB Application Summary View
- Printout of 1st page of System Award Management (SAM) Registration showing an “Active” status. Direct Link: www.sam.gov
Partnerships, Corporations, and LLCs must submit one of the following:
- 1st page of IRS Form 941 (Quarterly Tax Return) for preceding 12 months OR
- W-3 (Transmittal of Wage & Tax Statements) for past year OR
- List of all employees, if Forms 941 or W3 are not available for the past year